Fr. Tom Rosica, csb, CEO of Salt+Light Television here in Toronto is a dedicated religious, a dynamic priest and wonderful friend. He’s shared with me a column he wrote about Advent. Fr. Tom mentions some of the things that we might consider for this Advent when we recall our great relationship with God and prepare for the coming of the Kingdom. Here’s his top 39:
This Advent, allow me to suggest that you:
1. Mend a quarrel.
2. Build peace.
3. Seek out a forgotten friend.
4. Dismiss suspicion and replace it with trust.
5. Write a love letter.
6. Share some treasure.
7. Give a kind answer even though you would like to respond harshly.
8. Encourage a young person to believe in him/herself.
9. Manifest your loyalty in word and deed.
10. Find the time.
11. Make time.
12. Forego a grudge.
13. Forgive an enemy.
14. Celebrate the sacrament of reconciliation.
15. Listen more.
16. Apologize if you were wrong.
17. Be kind even if you weren’t wrong!
18. Try to understand.
19. Flout envy.
20. Examine the demands you make on others.
21. Think first of someone else.
23. Be kind,
24. be gentle.
25. Laugh a little.
26. Laugh a little more.
27. Deserve confidence.
28. Take up arms against malice.
29. Decry complacency.
30. Express gratitude.
31. Go to Church.
32. Stay in Church a little while longer than usual.
33. Gladden the heart of a child.
34. Take pleasure in the beauty and wonder of the earth.
35. Speak your love.
36. Speak it once again.
37. Speak it even more loudly.
38. Speak it quietly.
39. Rejoice, for the Lord is near!